Planters with trellises are often used to grow climbing plants such as roses, grapevines, clematis, and climbing hydrangeas. The trellis serves as a support for the plants and helps them grow upward instead of spreading out over the ground. Planters with trellises can be used in a variety of settings, including as a decorative feature in a garden, on a terrace or balcony, or as a screen or divider between different areas in an outdoor space.
You can create a space for relaxation and retreat if you have a small garden or terrace. Here, you can use planters and trellises to create this small space. Place the planters as a screen and plant flowers and plants that create a beautiful and calming atmosphere.
Which plants are best suited for this type of planter? There are many plants to choose from, but here are some suggestions for plants that will thrive in a planter with a trellis.
- Climbing plants are ideal for growing up the trellis and creating a green and flowering wall. Clematis, climbing roses, honeysuckle, and climbing hydrangea are all examples of climbing plants that will thrive in planters with trellises. These plants don't require much space but will grow quickly and densely together on the trellis, creating a beautiful and lush wall.
- Flowering perennials are a popular type of plant that will thrive in a planter with a trellis. Morning glories, lupines, poppies, and black-eyed Susans are all examples of flowering perennials that are suitable for this type of planter. These plants will provide a colorful and lively wall that will be beautiful to look at throughout the summer.
- Vegetables, while not the first thing you may think of, can also be grown in planters with trellises. Tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, and peas are all good examples of vegetables that will climb up the trellis and provide a high yield in a small space. These plants require regular watering and fertilizing but will provide fresh and healthy vegetables that you can enjoy all summer.
- Smaller trees and shrubs can also be grown in planters with trellises. You can try small fruit trees like apple or peach trees, or shrubs like blueberries or blackberries. These plants will require more space than the others on this list but will in turn provide a beautiful and varied wall that will look good all year round.
- Ornamental grasses are beautiful and elegant plants that can create movement and texture in your garden. Feather grass, blue oat grass, and bamboo are examples of ornamental grasses that are suitable for planters with trellises. These plants require little maintenance but will provide a beautiful and gentle movement in your garden.
It's important to remember that planters with trellises require regular maintenance to ensure that the plants thrive and grow healthy. It's important to give the plants enough water and fertilizer, as well as pruning them regularly so they don't get out of hand.